Pinellas County Florida Banner
File #: 22-1341A    Version: 1
Type: Contract/Agreement Status: Passed
File created: 7/28/2022 Department: Public Works
On agenda: 9/8/2022 Final action: 9/8/2022
Title: Change Order No. 1 to R.J.P. Enterprises, Inc. for the Sidewalk and Underdrain Replacement Program for Fiscal Years 2021-2023.
Attachments: 1. FE_Change Order No. 1 - signed, 2. Change Order No. 1 - signed
Related files: 20-2384A, 22-1981A



Change Order No. 1 to R.J.P. Enterprises, Inc. for the Sidewalk and Underdrain Replacement Program for Fiscal Years 2021-2023.



Recommended Action:

Recommended Action

Approval of Change Order No. 1 to R.J.P. Enterprises, Inc. for the Sidewalk and Underdrain Replacement Program for Fiscal Years 2021-2023.


                     This contract provides for removal and replacement of curbs, sidewalks, and underdrains at various locations throughout the County.

                     Change Order No.1 increases the contract by $350,000.00 to fund additional work related to completing the Sidewalk Backlog Program.

                     The Sidewalk Backlog Program is 70% complete with 1-year to complete the remaining 30%.

                     This contract was approved by the Board of County Commissioners on April 13, 2021, in the amount of $3,115,360.00 for a duration of 1,098 consecutive calendar days.

                     The contract provides for an additional 2-Year extension at the same prices, terms, and conditions.

                     R.J.P.’s submittal contained an outstanding Small Business Enterprise Program commitment of 34.4%.

                     Funds are budgeted in the Public Works Capital and Operating Budgets for the additional work.


Contract No. 21-0216-CP AJM to increase amount by $350,000.00 for a new total of $3,465,360.00; Authorize the Chairman to sign and the Clerk of the Circuit Court to attest.



Strategic Plan:

Ensure Public Health, Safety and Welfare
2.5 Enhance pedestrian and bicycle safety

Foster Continual Economic Growth and Vitality
4.4 Invest in infrastructure to meet current and future needs
4.5 Provide safe and effective transportation systems to the efficient flow of motorists

Deliver First Class Services to the Public and Our Customers
5.2 Be responsible stewards of the public’s resources
5.3 Ensure effective and efficient of county services and support




Due to the sidewalk back log project repairs that have been performed for the 1,080 miles of County-maintained sidewalk, R.J.P. has worked through the $2.8 million of the $3.1 million originally approved on April 13, 2021.

The Public Works (PW) Department is in the middle of an effort to complete a backlog of sidewalk repairs, including fixing or replacing cracked, broken, and buckled sidewalk panels. Seventy percent (70%) of the backlog project is complete with a remaining thirty percent (30%) to be completed by June 2023. To meet this date, PW requires additional funding to this contract.  Additionally, PW staff is working to get a replacement contract advertised and awarded.  There may be a need to bring a second change order request forward for approval to keep the project moving forward until a new contract can be awarded.  The current contractor, RJP, has agreed to maintain the original contract unit pricing.



Background Information:

The PW Transportation Division identified a need to supplement Contract No. 178-0582-CP due to an increase in work demand. This contract has provision for an additional seven hundred thirty (730) consecutive calendar day term extension if mutually agreed and shall be exercised if all prices, terms, and conditions remain the same. A total of five bids were received with R.J.P. Enterprises, Inc. as the lowest, responsive, responsible bidder.


Fiscal Impact:


Original Agreement Amount:                                           $3,115,360.00


Increase due to Change Order No. 1:                     $   350,000.00


Final Revised Agreement Amount:                     $3,465,360.00


Sixty-six percent (66%) of the project funds are derived from the Local Infrastructure Sales Tax (Penny for Pinellas) and are budgeted in the Capital Improvement Program: 4216A Transportation Underdrain; thirty-four percent (34%) additional funding is derived from the PW Operating Budget from Roadway Maintenance for Sidewalk & Underdrain Improvements.


Staff Member Responsible:

Kelli Hammer Levy, Director, Public Works
Merry Celeste, Division Director, Purchasing & Risk, Administrative Services
Joe Lauro, Director, Administrative Services






Change Order 1